Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dawn's Report: "My Summer Vacation"

Today's post is Dawn sharing her memories of her visit with us in Hatteras.
A+
7 Dec 2008
There is nothing in this world as valuable to me as family and friends, and just as my family grows over time, so do my friends.
A couple of years ago, I was introduced to a message board unlike any others that I had been a member of (www.obxconnection.com, aka the OBC). Over time, I have gotten to know many people who share the same interest as I … a love for the Outer Banks of North Carolina … some only through their messages posted and some, I have actually met in person! Living so close to the Outer Banks has been very beneficial for me ... being only a couple hours away, it doesn't take long to "scoot down" if work and finances cooperate.
This past October (2008), I had the fortunate opportunity of meeting one of those wonderful ladies in person. For a long time, I only knew her as YMINIowa (most of us on the board refer to her as "Y") … she had done a lot of genealogy research on my family and found all sorts of information … I knew she was a great person right from the get go. I was very surprised and very honored when she invited me to spend a few days with her and her family and friends in Hatteras. I had never stayed in Hatteras (my family and I have always vacationed in Nags Head), so I thought it would be a great experience AND I’d get to meet another member of the board! So, I graciously accepted and made arrangements.
I was a little nervous about staying in a new area (being a creature of habit, change doesn’t come easy) and staying with people I had never met. But the day I arrived, I was greeted at the door by Lynnea … and of course, I started out on a good note by pronouncing her name wrong! She politely corrected me and then, it was like we had known each other for years. She welcomed me in her home (it was hers for the two weeks she was there), and promptly called for Darrin and Darcie to come help me unload my car. I met her friends and the rest of her family and never once felt uncomfortable. They were all very welcoming and a joy to be around. And yes, Alexa is just as pretty as her pictures.
I had promised to cook dinner for them the first night I was there. I had brought shrimp that my son had caught and soft crabs that my husband had caught (the majority of my family are commercial fishermen), and I had other side dishes planned. I’ve become so accustomed to cooking for a crowd and having the kitchen all to myself that I wouldn’t let anyone help … I hope they didn’t think that was rude. The girls looked on as I fried the shrimp and soft crabs and asked questions about preparation. They seemed a little surprised at how simple it can be. That’s me though … the more simple, the better! Dinner was a big hit, and I was very relieved.
As Lynnea has already posted in her blog, Thursday was an eventful day. We had lunch with Eve … what a beautiful person she is. And then, there was the party that night … everyone seemed to have a great time, and the food was simply delicious! It was great to meet Julie Schagwin and her hubby … I’m so glad they could come. I was hoping more members of the OBC could have made it, but they just weren’t able to do so.
Friday started out a dreary, rainy day … and continued to be that way the entire day. I walked to the beach and took a few pictures, picked up a couple shells and stared out into the ocean for a few minutes … even though it was a little angry that day, I still felt that peace of mind that I always do when I’m at the beach. Back at the house, it was so much fun watching everyone scurrying and sneaking around to prepare for Levi’s exciting treasure hunt. Everyone had their own assigned task, and it all came together like clockwork. After the treasure hunters left on their journey, Lynnea and I decided it would be a “lazy day” … there always has to be one of those when you’re on vacation … right? Right! I caught up on some reading, took a nap, and did a little crocheting … what a wonderful day! When everyone else returned from their big excursion, Levi was just glowing! He promptly displayed his treasures for all to see and could hardly contain himself. What a memory they all made possible for this young man!
Saturday was another dreary day with rain on and off (mostly on) all day. I coaxed Lynnea into taking a trip with me up to Nags Head. Hatteras is very nice and very laid back, and I loved being there. I am ever so grateful to Lynnea for inviting me to experience “the island” … but as soon as I got to Nags Head, I felt like I was right at home. I guess after sixteen years of vacationing there, it IS like home. Anyway, we made a few stops, did a little shopping, checked out the ocean (and yes, it was still quite angry), and made one last stop before heading back to Hatteras. In all the years I have been vacationing in Nags Head, I had never stopped in at Sam & Omie’s until this year. I plan on making it a regular stop from now on. I love that place!
Then came moving day … I always hate moving day no matter where I am on the Outer Banks. It means I have to very soon get back to this thing they call reality … who ever came up with that one anyway? But, I guess it’s the little breaks in between that helps us handle it a little better. Before heading home though, Lynnea and I made a stop in Manteo to meet up with a couple more members of the message board. We had lunch and then were taken on an amazing tour of Manteo with a quick trip over to Mann’s Harbor. Manteo is such a quaint little town that doesn’t get near the recognition it should. It is absolutely beautiful and packed so full of history. After our tour, we were treated to a wonderful dinner prepared by our tour guide who also set up dinner … with a movie! How cool is that? I hated to have to leave, but it was getting late and I had a two hour drive ahead of me.
The entire trip is one that I will never forget … Hatteras Island, the fun, the memories, the people, especially the people. I am so thankful for all the friendships I have made by way of the OBC message board, and as I said before, I am so grateful to Lynnea for inviting me along and giving me the opportunity to experience life “on island time.“ She is one special lady, and I look forward to seeing her again this year. Dawn aka beachbum98_98

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Sarah and I'm with Dwellable. I was looking for blog posts about the Outer Banks to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Sarah